Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Mexican bean soup with lime

I really, really love soup. It's so easy to make, and you can just throw in whatever you like or whatever you have, add some broth and spices and you'll have a delicious, satisfying one-pot meal!



For my Mexican bean soup with lime, I started by sautéing chopped garlic, onion and jalapeño with a bit of oil in a soup pot. Once the onions started to soften, I added some frozen roasted corn and some mushroom slices and cooked until the mushrooms started to turn dark in color and the corn was thawed.

Next, I added one drained can each of black beans and pinto beans, as well as two undrained cans of diced tomatoes with green chilis. Next came the spices, which I throw in liberally. I used cayenne pepper, chili powder, cumin, paprika, turmeric, onion powder and a pinch of jalapeño salt. I stirred the mixture to distribute the spices before adding lime juice and a carton of vegetable broth and allowing the soup to simmer for 45 minutes.

To serve, I topped this soup with avocado, pico de gallo, fresh cilantro and several squeezes of fresh lime. It was spicy, flavorful and filling, just like I like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment